Tuesday 16 July 2013

Spaghetti Squash with Apples and Pecans

I have just only begun to tap into the wonderful world of cooking with spaghetti squash. I don't know why I've never bought one before, possibly because they are so big and intimidating for me as I can only buy what I can carry home from the grocery store. But I might have to start making special trips, because this first recipe I tried was just delightful and it seems like the possibilities for spaghetti squash are endless! Not only is it healthier and more versatile than pasta, but it is gluten free, which is always an added bonus. I also like how you can serve it in itself. I wanted to start off with a recipe that was simple, but not as obvious as simply spaghetti squash topped with tomato sauce. I think that this was the perfect choice and I can't wait to try some more!


The original recipe that I found on Pinterest can be found here. This recipe consists of...
- a spaghetti squash
- extra virgin olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
- salt
- gala apples
- pecans
- green onion

How to make it:
1. Using something sharp, pierce your spaghetti squash all over, and microwave for about 15 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to touch.
2. Once cooled, cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and fibers, then twist out the strands using a fork.
3. In a small bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix into spaghetti squash.
4. Dice up 2 gala apples, chop some pecans and thinly slice up green onions. Combine with spaghetti squash.

A Variation:
Instead of apples, try using dried cherries and gorgonzola cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment