Monday 28 January 2013

Creamy, Cheesy and Very Veggie Pan-Pasta

I haven't been too good with making anything overly creative, healthy or interesting over the past week or so but I really wanted to make sure I used my veggies before they went bad! While it may not be the healthiest meal in the world, this pasta is a great way of using up whatever you have in your fridge and jazzing up plain old pasta, which has become my main go-to meal. The ingredients can be easily changed depending on your preference but the basic instructions will remain the same. And it tastes just as good the next day!


My version contains...
- pasta
- extra-virgin olive oil
- green pepper
- orange pepper
- yellow pepper
- yellow onion
- alfredo sauce
- Philadelphia cooking cream
- shredded parmesan with romano and asiago cheese
- (and of course) goat cheese

How to make this:
1. Fill up a pot with water and bring to a boil.
2. Put desired amount of pasta in the boiling water and let cook for 11 minutes. I like Catelli Bistro tri-colour vegetable pasta- it's low in sodium, a good source of fibre, iron, vitamin A and potassium with the goodness of vegetables, plus it looks pretty! Today I used rotini noodles.
3. While pasta is cooking, chop up the peppers and onions (or whatever add-ins you like).
4. Put some extra-virgin olive oil in a frying pan and saute the vegetables to your liking (not only does the oil help saute the veggies, but it will keep your pasta from getting dried out too!)
5. Strain pasta and add to pan.
6. Add your sauce. Today I have combined alfredo sauce and Philadelphia cooking cream (I LOVE cream cheese!) for an extra-creamy sauce.
7. Mix everything up in the pan and distribute sauce evenly.
8. Top with shredded parmesan, romano and asiago mixture and a little goat cheese. Mmmm!

Suggestion to make this even healthier: For some protein try adding some chicken, tofu, or even some egg! Also try using some homemade sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment