Wednesday 16 January 2013

Berry Yummy Salad

Hello interweb! And welcome to my newest experiment. I know it's sort of cliche, but new years do spark new beginnings, and this is my beginning to eating better tasting food that is better for me. Assuming that there are more of you out there with the same thought, I thought I would share my journey (and my recipes)!
As this is my first entry, I do feel the need to get a few things out of the way. First off, I am not doing this in attempt to lose weight. I think I'm fine in that department, but I know that my body can't take the same crap I've been feeding it out of laziness forever, so may as well start now. Secondly, I am not trying to go gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, or anything like that. This isn't an all-out cleanse, and I won't go trying to eliminate everything bad from my diet entirely. White bread > whole wheat. Cheese > all else. I am not suddenly a major health fanatic, just trying to make a realistic attempt at introducing some new and healthy foods into my diet more regularly. I am also not going to pretend to be some sort of health expert- I'm not. Just your average, every-day girl with basic food knowledge and common sense. And lastly, while I do not each much meat just out of pure pickiness, I am not an all-out vegetarian. However, my cooking skills are still pretty mediocre, so my recipes will likely rarely include meat.
Alright, now that all that's out of the way, let's get to the good stuff! My first healthy creation of 2013; I'll call it, the "Berry Yummy Salad":


Salad's are great because they are quick, and simple, which is key when you're a busy person without the skill or motivation to make a big, fancy meal. And there's no need for recipes or exact measurements- just a nice compromise of using what you have and making good-tasting combinations. This particular one that I have made consists of:
- mixed greens
- alfalfa sprouts
- sliced strawberries
- blackberries
- pomegranate arils
- goat cheese
- homemade dressing

Suggestion to make this it even healthier: Try replacing goat cheese with almond slivers! (But OMG goat cheese tastes so good....)

No comments:

Post a Comment