Tuesday 12 March 2013

Chili Penne with Butternut Squash

This was my first attempt at a recipe from one of my cookbooks and I think it was pretty successful so I thought I'd share! This one comes from The Great Weeknight Cookbook and really was quite simple and required surprisingly few ingredients. "Spice up buttnernut squash with cumin and chili, then toss in crumbled goat cheese to create a creamy, flavourful sauce for pasta that takes moments to prepare," said the writers of the book. It was enough to make me want to try it!
 

Makes a lovely lunch or dinner! This recipe contains...
- penne pasta (once again I've used Catelli Bistro tri-colour vegetable pasta, healthy AND pretty!)
- butternut squash
- olive oil
- crushed chili flakes
- coriander (The recipe actually called for cumin but I didn't have any)
- goat cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- pepper

How to make it:
1. If you didn't buy pre-peeled and cut butternut squash (like I did- great find!), peel and cut your squash into cubes.
2. Cook pasta and squash in a pot of boiling water until squash is soft and pasta is desired consistency.
3. Reserve 100 mL of cooking water before draining pasta and squash.
4. Over low heat, pour some olive oil into the pot, add crushed chili flakes and cumin/coriander (I used coriander since I had no cumin) and cook for 1 minute before removing from heat.
5. Return the pasta and squash to the pot, mix in the cooking the liquid, goat cheese, and season to taste (I added some pepper but it was not in the recipe).
6. Put in a bowl and top with parmesan cheese.

1 comment: