Friday 1 February 2013

Greek Quinoa

This was the first of what I hope will be many collaborative efforts with my dear friend Ellie, and also my first time cooking and eating quinoa! Quinoa has quickly become the hottest trend in food and cooking, so I'm sure this will be my first of many quinoa recipes.




Quinoa is kind of like the love-child of rice and oats. It's a great source of vitamins, minerals, iron and protein, so it's perfect for vegan or vegetarian diets, or someone like me who just doesn't eat red meat. Not only is it super nutritious, but it's easy to prepare and can be easily integrated into almost any dish! Our Greek version consists of...
- quinoa
- green pepper
- cucumber
- red onion
- feta
- kalamata  olives
- homemade Greek dressing

How to make it:
1. Add twice as much water than quinoa to a pot, bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer until all the water is absorbed (roughly 10 minutes).
2. While your quinoa is cooking, cut up green pepper, cucumber, red onion and feta into chunks (as it is a Greek quinoa, you may also want to add tomatoes- I just don't because I don't like them).
3. Chop up your olives and remove the pits.
4. Put everything into a bowl, add dressing and mix. Done!

Suggestions to make this even healthier: Not only is this healthier, but it's easier too- try skipping the dressing and just adding a splash of lemon juice!

Have a little as a side dish and save some for later, or a have a bowl-full to make it a meal! Super simple! A dish well worth the minimal effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment