Saturday 25 May 2013

Broccoli Salad Twice Baked Potatoes

Once again, I know it's been some time since I posted- I haven't been getting too creative with my healthy meals lately. But fear now, because now that I've found Pinterest (which may just be my new favourite thing on the internet!) the creativity and motivation are a-flowin'! So many new ideas on there I barely knew where to start! I somewhat arbitrarily chose to begin with a twice-baked potato recipe that I have put my own little twist on (the original recipe can be found here). So next time you can't decide between salad or potatoes, why not just combine them?!


Makes a great side-dish or have it on it's own for a lighter meal! I have always loved twice baked potatoes and they are actually surprisingly easier than you may have thought! Plus they are gluten-free! These consist of...
- baking potatoes
- broccoli
- shredded cheddar cheese
- red onion
- nuts (I used pine nuts, would also like to try almond pieces)
- craisins
- chives
- butter/margerine
- milk

How to make it:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Peirce your potatoes using a fork, and put in the microwave on "baked potato" setting (if you do not have this setting, microwave on high for about 5 minutes).
2. While potatoes are in the microwave, cook your broccoli in a pot of boiled water, covered for about 3 minutes. Strain and set aside.
3. Cut potatoes in half length-wise and scoop out the insides into a bowl, leaving about 1/4" thick shell. Place empty potato halves on a baking sheet.
4. Mash or puree the potato insides, adding milk and butter/margerine until desired texture is achieved.
5. Dice up your red onion and mix into your potatoes with nuts, craisins, chives, and some shredded cheddar cheese. Spoon the mixture back into the potato shells.
6. Top your potatoes with the cooked broccoli and a little more cheddar. Bake in the oven for about 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment